The Boneyard





The Edward Mead Johnson Jr. Home
622 College Highway

Click images to enlarge


One of the more striking houses in the historic Lincolnshire area, by virtue of its size and spacious grounds, is this residence on College Highway. The English Revival rendering comprises dark red brick walls, a step façade, a massive chimney, and a series of hip roofs. It is these elements and their articulation which promote the English theme, rather a reliance on embellishments. The port cochere adds interest and function to the north side of the home. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, which put the United States and the Soviet Union on the brink of nuclear war in 1962, the property received notoriety when the second owner installed a bomb shelter beneath the lawn on the south side of the house.

The structure was built and designed for Edward Mead Johnson Jr., who was vice-president and manager of Mead Johnson and Company. The firm was established in 1915 by his father, Edward Mead Johnson Sr., and continues to be one of Evansville’s most significant corporations. It is now a division of Bristol Myers-Squibb and produces a variety of nutritional products and infant formulas. Edward’s brother, James W. Johnson, also lived in Lincolnshire during the 1920s, as the first occupant of the home at 624 Willow Road.
Text Courtesy of the City of Evansville



Back to The Boneyard